Wednesday, May 21, 2014

Amazing Spider-Man 2 Movie Review






Amazing Spider-Man 2 
Movie Review

Spoiler Free





        After the decidedly decent first film in the rebooted Spider-Man series, the webslinger is back for another shot. Still reeling from the loss of his Uncle Ben and unlikely ally Captain Stacy, Peter is nonetheless coming into his own as the Spider-Man. New enemies Rhino and Electro enter the fray as Peter rekindles an old friendship with Harry Osborn. As the story progresses, Peter struggles with the two sides of his life. While Spider-Man is forced to make a terrible decision, Peter Parker must come to terms with his relationship with Gwen Stacy. A very personal final confrontation reminds Peter that no power ever comes without responsibility.




       The strongest point in this film is its characters. Great characters like Peter, Aunt May, and Gwen are made even stronger, while newcomers are quickly built into likeable characters. Even though I was initially worried about crowding on account of the reported three villains slated to appear in the film, at no point while watching it did I feel like they were vying for my attention. Each of the three effectively had different goals, and while they did cross paths, Electro served as the main focus, while the other two were more like cameos or setup devices. The film establishes that it has a clear direction its going, and while longtime fans of Spider-Man may realize what the endgame is, there are many other plotines running, such as the history of Peter's parents, that have me interested. The special effects, especially those attached to Electro were absolutely gorgeous, and I can honestly say that in all the X-Men and Thor movies I've seen and Infamous games I've played, I've never seen lightning done quite as well as it was in this movie.

       Even thouhgh I really enjoyed it, the movie was not without faults, chief among them was what felt like a rushed story, if only in certain areas. I left the movie feeling as if some of the things that happened would have fit better in the first film, while other plotlines seemed to jump out of nowhere. Villains motives were slightly underdeveloped, and the villains themselves were at times, slightly over-the-top and a couple of the costumes left something to be desired. The story of the movie was very emotional, and though I felt it worked well, I realize others may not have enjoyed it as much. Still, this movie rises well above its predecessor and has me interested in the overarching plot.

        This movie, much like Iron Man 3, seems to have divided the fans. Even though I had my doubts walking in, I walked out completely happy with what I got. The plot had many disparate threads that it balanced well and it stays true to the character. More than ever, we see Spider-Man as the everyman, torn down by loss and tragedy, and built back up by those who care for him and those who need him.

9/10
Can't wait for the sequel!

A note to readers, I'm going to see
X-Men Days of Future Past this weekend,
and hope to have a review of it written
 by mid next week. Stay tuned readers!
And be sure to leave comments letting
me know how you felt about Amazing
Spidey 2 and how you think X-Men
will do. Your feedback means a lot!

                                                                   
'Sup Big John!

No comments:

Post a Comment